asdoc : Sends Stata output to MS Word

asdoc : Sends Stata output to MS Word

Category:Stata Programs

About asdoc

asdoc is a Stata program that makes it super-easy to send output from Stata to MS Word. asdoc creates high quality, publication-ready tables from various Stata commands such as summarize, correlate, tabstat, cross-tabs, regressions, t-tests, flexible table, and many more.

Installation

The program can be installed by typing the following from the Stata command window:

ssc install asdoc, update

3.1 Correlations [Blog Post]
3.2 Correlations [YouTube Video]
3.3 Correlations with significance stars

4. Regressions

4.1 Full regression tables [YouTube Video]

4.1.1 Customizing the detailed table: Stars and CIS
4.2 Compact / nested tables (publication quality)
4.3 Regression over a grouping variable (YouTube Video)
4.4 Changing order of variables in the nested regression table

5. Frequency tables

5.1 One-way tabulation (tabulate1)   Watch YouTube Video
5.2 Two-way tabulation (tabulate2) Watch YouTube Video
5.3 One- and two-way tables of summary statistics (tabsum)
5.4 Multiple-way tables (tab1)
5.5 All-possible two-way tables (tab2)

6. Compact tables (tabstat)

6.1 Without groups
6.2 With groups

7. Flexible table of statistics (table)

7.1 One-way table
7.2 Two-way table
7.3 Three-way table
7.4 Four-way table

8. T-tests

8.1 one-sample t-test
8.2 two-sample using groups
8.3 two-sample using variables
8.4 paired t-test

9. Table of means, std., and frequencies (tabsum)

10. Means
10.1 Arithmetic / harmonic / geometric means
10.2 Proportions
10.3 Ratio
10.4 Total

11. Exporting the Stata Data with the sub-command list

12. Writing matrix to a Word / RTF file

13.The survey prefix command

14.Customized tables with option row

15.Customizing Table Titles – Tips and Tricks

Nicole Martin

January 10, 2018at 8:37 am

Firstly, thank you for making your Stata package available – it’s really speeding up my workflow compared to the other options available. I’m writing to make a suggestion that you consider adding an option that value labels can be reported in regression tables as well as variable labels.

Joanna Dipnall

June 1, 2018at 3:42 am

I was very excited to find your wonderful asdoc Stata command. However, I am having some issues when wanting to create some tables. The Stata value labels not being copied in tab2.

For example the value labels with foreign are not copied into my Word file:

July 27, 2018at 6:23 pm

In version 2 of asdoc, I have included value lables with all tabulation commands, i.e. tabulate, tabulated2, tab1, tab2, etc. Thanks for your suggestion.

August 26, 2018at 11:06 am

Dear Joanna
    In version 2.0 of asdoc, option label has been added for the following Stata commands when using asdoc.
    1. tabulate
    2. tabulate2
    3. tab1
    4. tab2
    5. regress and all other variants of regressions in Stata

You can update asdoc from SSC by:
    ssc install asdoc, replace

Oscar Briones

June 10, 2018at 3:35 pm

Many thanks indeed for the “asdoc” asdoc command stata
it has helped me alot.

Richell Onnel

June 19, 2018at 10:18 pm

Thanks very nice blog

Matthew Millard

September 22, 2018at 2:16 am

I have been telling everyone about the asdoc package who uses Stata. Several people told me how much they absolutely love it. One’s exact words were that it is “game changing” for convenience.

Parek Agustino

October 7, 2018at 10:47 pm

Found this absolutely helpful. Any chance of a MacBook version(Numbers)?

October 8, 2018at 4:29 am

Parek Augustino: asdoc can be installed on any platform where Stata is installed.

HN Panta

October 13, 2018at 4:52 pm

Hello Dr. Shah,
Thank you so much for making stata help available publicly. I am trying to create a mean and median difference between two groups with test statistics (including starts). Could you help me with this?

HN Panta

October 13, 2018at 11:19 pm

Thank you so much! I’ll send you my query soon.

Ruth-Alma Turkson-Ocran

October 24, 2018at 1:08 am

I was wondering if your asdoc program can handle survey data. I do not see the info on your blog regarding using it with the survey command (there is no hyperlink for it here: http://fintechprofessor.com) In addition,
Only one output gets put into the table when I try the following command:

foreach v of varlist married edu_cat poor2 emp_stat notcov usupl stay_us{
asdoc svy, subpop(if black_african==1): tab `v' sex_r, count col format(%12.0g), append
}

October 24, 2018at 1:14 am

Ruth-Alma: Yes asdoc can work with svy commands. Please update asdoc and it will likely solve the problem you are referring to.

ssc install asdoc, replace

Gemechis Mersha

November 6, 2018at 3:06 pm

I would like to say thank you for your asdoc work. I found it very helpful. But I get difficulty in applying asdoc to transfer Marginal Effect result to MS Word. All the command for regression is not applicable for Marginal Effect.

For example

asdoc reg x y, replace dec(3))

…..the command dec(3) works here
but didn’t work in

asdoc margins, dydx(*), replace dec(3)

is there any asdoc special command for transferring Marginal Effect result to Word?

Dr.Öğr.Üyesi Erkan Alsu

November 23, 2018at 1:35 pm

Hi Mr. Shah I congratulate you for your asdoc program. Very nice program. I am grateful to you for bringing such a program to the world of science. Where can I find the text file on Youtube video? Where can I find the asdoc Stata codes? Thank you. Yours truly.

November 23, 2018at 1:39 pm

Thanks for your kind words. asdoc can be installed from within Stata when you are connected to the internet. Type the following in the Stata command window

ssc install asdoc

After installation, you can find all the help and examples in the help file. To access the help file, type

help asdoc

Joyce Lee

November 30, 2018at 12:48 pm

Hi Dr. Shah,
I absolutely love your program, and I cannot thank you enough! I just only would like to ask how I might be able to adjust the number of stars for significance level. I would like to add asterisks with regression coefficients such that

*** are added for p<0.05,
** for p<0.01%, and
* for p<0.001 level of significance

. It would be of great help. Thank you!

November 30, 2018at 12:52 pm

Joyce Lee: I am working on a dozen of options to add to asdoc in its next update. I have noted your suggestion and would consider it in the next update.

Rully

December 10, 2018at 1:43 am

Hi Professor, thank you for the great program. Quick question. When I try the following command (to include year dummy):

asdoc xi: xtabond var var

, the program says no variable named xtabond. Doesn’t the program support ‘xi:’ command yet? Thank you.

December 10, 2018at 3:17 am

Rully: Thanks for reporting this bug. I shall try to find a workaround in the next update.

Rully

December 10, 2018at 6:41 am

Thank you Professor. It’s a great program.

Jo

February 12, 2019at 3:13 pm

Hi Professor,
Is it possible for asdoc command to be in the foreach loop?

February 12, 2019at 5:17 pm

Jo
    Yes, asdoc can be used in foreach loop. Please elaborate what do you want to get at the end of the loop?

Embaye

February 23, 2019at 5:07 pm

Hi Attaullah,

Thank you very much for your help. What is the stata code when we want summary statistics by year (for a panel data) using asdoc command? How can also export the asdoc document to any directory we wanted?

Embaye

February 23, 2019at 5:07 pm

Hi Attaullah,

February 23, 2019at 5:31 pm

Embaye
    If you want to repeat the summary statistics by year, you can use the bysort prefix. see the following example,

webuse grunfeld, clear
    bys year: asdoc sum, replace

For your second query, you can use the save() option of asdoc. So assume that you have a directory in C:/results and you want to save the output to this directory. You would use the save option as shown below.

webuse grunfeld, clear
    bys year: asdoc sum, replace save(C:/results/Myfile.doc)

Abdul Hameed Leghari

February 23, 2019at 5:26 pm

I hope you are doing great and feeling healthy. I’m writing this to congratulate to you on your STATA Program (asdoc). I have been utilizing STATA for a long time. This is such a major achievement in STATA history. It appears to be extremely valuable for me and it has tackled a significant number of my issues. I have been working in the development sector throughout the previous five years. I have performed several nationwide survey analysis, for example, Pakistan Panel Rural Household Survey, Pakistan Agriculture Survey, Pakistan Household Skills Measurement Survey and Operational Review of the Waseela-e-Taleem Programme, and so on. As of now, I have used it with many STATA commands and it effectively sends STATA yield to MS Word in extraordinary looking tables. I again acknowledge and compliment you for this work and pray for your successful and effective future.

Regards
Abdul Hameed Leghari
Senior Economic Analyst

SANNI OLAWALE

March 9, 2019at 3:05 pm

How can I remove the compounded exported output by asdoc from STATA? Thanks

March 9, 2019at 4:13 pm

SANNI
    Can you please elaborate your query?

SANNI OLAWALE

March 9, 2019at 4:18 pm

Good day sir, I exported output from Stata using asdoc and subsequently I attempted to export new output from different data, but even all those ones I initially exported were included in with new output.
I only want the exportation to be solely on a particular Data at a time, not a combination of previous data output in the ms word

March 9, 2019at 4:32 pm

OK, there are two way in which you can separate outputs from differet Stata commands:

(1) Use replace option, that will replace the existing file. However, you should have copied or renamed the file otherwise the contents of the existing file will be replaced.

(2) A better option would be to use the save(file_name) option. This way you can save each output in a sseparate file.

See this example

asdoc sum, save(summary)

asdoc cor, save(cor)

The above code would generate two files one with the name summary.doc and the second with the name cor.doc

Please cite asdoc in your research.

In-text citation
    Tables were created using asdoc, a Stata program written by Shah (2018).

Bibliography
    Shah, A. (2018). ASDOC: Stata module to create high-quality tables in MS Word from Stata output. Statistical Software Components S458466, Boston College Department of Economics.

Liz

March 10, 2019at 1:57 am

Hello
I’m trying to use asdoc to save a collection of tables made with bysort and sum but it says to many variables are specified. Is it possible to use asdoc on something like
bysort 1 2: summarize 3 4 5 6 7 8
thanks

March 10, 2019at 10:07 am

Liz
    If you want to use more than one variable in the bysort prefix, then you can first group those variables into one using the group function of egen command. Then use the new variable in the bysort prefix. In the following example, I have grouped the variables rep78 and foreign and find summary statistics for all numeric variables using the new variable grouped as grouping variable.

egen grouped = group(rep78 foreign)
    bysort grouped : asdoc sum

If you find asdoc useful, please cite it in your research.
    In-text citation
    Tables were created using asdoc, a Stata program written by Shah (2018).

Bibliography

Roland

March 21, 2019at 7:56 pm

Dear Professor,

I am trying to use “asdoc” with tabulate command. I obtain the following error:

. asdoc tabulate implementing_jurisdiction, replace

option matrow() not allowed
r(198);

March 21, 2019at 8:17 pm

Can you please a sample of your data at attallah.shah@imsciences.edu.pk
    Please also send the following info:
    the version of asdoc, which can be found by typing

which asdoc

2. Which operating system do you use? i.e. windows, MacOs or other
    3. Which Stata version

March 24, 2019at 11:02 pm

Thanks for providing the dataset. It seems the variable implementing_jurisdiction is a string variable. If a variable does not have value labels, the mentioned error is returned by asdoc. In order for asdoc to work, we first need to conver the variable to a numeric format with value labels. The good news is that we can do that in one line of code. In the following code, I convert the mentioned variable to numeric format and generate a new variable, called num_ij, then use asdoc with the new variable

encode implementing_jurisdiction , gen(num_ji)
    asdoc tabulate num_ji, replace

And there you go.

Please cite asdoc in your research:

Anderson

March 24, 2019at 9:26 pm

Dear Attaullah Shat

I am getting the same error as Roland citing “Roland
March 21, 2019at 7:56 pm
Dear Professor,

I am trying to use “asdoc” with tabulate command. I obtain the following error:

. asdoc tabulate implementing_jurisdiction, replace

option matrow() not allowed
r(198);”

I am also getting this error: https://www.statalist.org/forums/forum/general-stata-discussion/general/1467744-using-asdoc-with-loop
astable(): 3301 subscript invalid
: – function returned error

I am using Windows 10, Stata MP 64 bit, asdoc version is -> 2.3.3.3:

March 24, 2019at 11:08 pm

Anderson
    I hope the solution I presented above will also work for you. In the future updates, I shall try to add support for string variables inside asdoc, but for time being, the workaround of encode should effectively solve the problem.

July 13, 2019at 3:32 am

Anderson
    I have fixed the error. The new version of asdoc can be installed from my site. Copy and past the following line in Stata and press enter.
    net install asdoc, from(http://fintechprofessor.com) replace

Please note that the above line has to be copied in full. After installation of the new version, then restart Stata.

Please do remember to cite asdoc. To cite:
    In-text citation
    Tables were created using asdoc, a Stata program written by Shah (2018).

Bibliography

Daniel

April 5, 2019at 8:08 pm

Hi Sir,

Does the label option works for logit? I tried to use the label option with logit, but it doesn’t work…

April 5, 2019at 10:51 pm

Daniel:
    I have checked and option label works fine with logit. I am using version 2.3.3.4 of asdoc. You can check your version of asdoc by

which asdoc

An example of option label with logit is given below.

webuse lbw
    asdoc logit low age lwt i.race smoke ptl ht ui, replace label

Daniel

April 6, 2019at 1:13 am

I am using 2.3.3.3. How could I update it ?

Daniel

April 6, 2019at 1:15 am

I used ssc install asdoc, replace, but still getting 2.3.3.3

Daniel

April 6, 2019at 7:46 am

I think the question was wrong. I get the label for continuous variables but not for categorical variables (I mean about the independent variables). Also I tried the code you provided, but I got the label values for the continuous variables, but not for the race.

April 6, 2019at 8:17 am

Daniel
    Can you please send your data and Stata code at attaullah.shah@imsciences.edu.pk
    Also, please indicate in your email what is not working for you and is going against your expectations.

Kostas

April 9, 2019at 6:37 pm

Dear Professor Shah,

I installed the latest version of the ‘asdoc’ ADO file. I am using Stata offline due to data confidentiality. So, the asdoc file is called from a folder in C drive.

The problem is that when I try to run different Stata commands, I keep receiving the following error:
” astable(): 3001 expected 5 arguments but received 12
: – function returned error”

In particular, the commands (e.g. “asdoc table” or “asdoc tabulate”) are executed normally by Stata and tables are created in the Stata window. However, instead of showing the “Click to Open File: Myfile.doc” line, the abovementioned error appears, so I cannot extract the tables in Word. Could you please explain why this happens and provide possible remedies? With the previous version of asdoc (November 2018), I did not face such issues.

Kostas

April 9, 2019at 6:42 pm

Kostas
    Since you installed asdoc manually, now it seems there are two versions of asdoc on your system, one old and new. The function library gets confused among these versions. You should first uninstall asdoc completely using the following code, then reinstall asdoc and then restart your Stata.

net install uninstall_asdoc, from(http://fintechprofessor.com) replace

uninstall_asdoc

ssc install asdoc, replace

Kostas

April 9, 2019at 7:27 pm

Dear Professor Shah,

Thanks for your prompt reply.
I am not the person who does the installation but the data providers do this (as I cannot access the internet from their server, but I only access the data remotely through their working space).

I can only see 2 files in the folder from which asdoc is called: 1. “asdoc.ado (ADO file)” and 2. “asdoc (Stata SMCL document)”.

Nothing is currently installed in my Stata. Every time I start Stata, I have to install Asdoc (by calling it from the folder mentioned above using the ‘findit’ command).

I was wondering whether perhaps not all necessary asdoc files are stored in that offline folder, so that is why the errors appear? For example, again when I run the “asdoc tabulate” command I receive the following error: “: 3499 asdoc_tab_onevar() not found”.

Could you please name the files that I need to have in place in order to have a complete installation of asdoc? I will then inform the data providers accordingly to download these files.

Thanks again,
Kostas

April 9, 2019at 10:49 pm

Actually, there are three files, which are
    1. asdoc.ado
    2. asdoc.sthlp
    3. lasdoc.mlib

The last file is missing from your system and the same old file is used by Stata which has a different function structure than the updated one. Drop me an email at attaullah.shah@imsciences.edu.pk and I shall email you these files.

Finja

May 14, 2019at 2:34 pm

Dear Professor Shah,

for me, it is only possible to use Stata offline. Is it still possible to somehow install the asdoc command?

May 14, 2019at 2:47 pm

Finja: You can download the installation files from RePEC IDEA page, second tab with the title Download. Once downloaded, then place these files in relevant folders: So the asdoc.ado and asdoc.sthlp files will go in the following folder

C:/ado/plus/a

The third file lasdoc.mlib will go into the following folder

C:/ado/plus/l

Where the last letter is small L.

Jo

May 30, 2019at 9:56 am

Hi, I love asdoc but am getting the following problem when trying to write estat class after logistic to a word file:
————————————————–
subinstr(): 3200 conformability error
asdocrest_custom(): – function returned error
: – function returned error
r(3200);

Also, is it possible to write the confidence intervals instead of se for my nested table?
Thank you.

May 31, 2019at 2:56 pm

Jo
    Please post the full Stata code, i.e what did you write and what did Stata say?

Jas

June 5, 2019at 6:38 pm

Dear Professor Shah,
Is it possible to use asdoc using 3sls regression?

Looking forward to your reply.

Regards
Jaskaran

June 7, 2019at 8:47 pm

I have added support for 3sls regressions in asdoc.

This beta version can be installed from my site.

net install asdoc, from(http://fintechprofessor.com) replace

An Example

Since the 3sls command has a complex syntax structure, I have separated it from asdoc. So first we shall enter the full 3sls command and then use replay command with asdoc. See the following example.

webuse klein, clear
    reg3 (consump wagepriv wagegovt) (wagepriv consump govt capital1)
    asdoc replay, nest replace
    reg3 (consump wagepriv wagegovt) (wagepriv consump  capital1)
    asdoc replay, nest

Esteban Arellano

June 10, 2019at 8:02 am

Dear professor Shah,

I am using svy with asdoc, but I am creating weighted tables with

asdoc svy: tabulate cedad csexo, count format(%14.3gc)

and I get this answer “option count not allowed”, help with this issue please.

June 10, 2019at 11:24 am

Esteban Arellano
Adding weighted statistics to svy command would need some good amount of coding and hence I have postponed them until I find enough time for it. Thanks for reminding.

Mike

June 25, 2019at 2:01 pm

I am trying to obtain a weighted frequency for my variable. I issued the following command:

asdoc tab var1 [aw=weights]

the command returns error, that aweight is not allowed.

June 25, 2019at 2:16 pm

Mike:
    I have revised asdoc and it accepts aweights now. The new version of asdoc can be installed from my site. Copy and paste the following line in Stata and press enter.

net install asdoc, from(http://fintechprofessor.com) replace

Please do remember to cite asdoc. To cite:
    In-text citation
    Tables were created using asdoc, a Stata program written by Shah (2018).

Bibliography

Joseph N

July 13, 2019at 2:53 am

Dear Prof Attaullah,

I would like to express my thanks for your valuable asdoc state command that I currently use for my data analysis. Very helpful and It’s saving valuable time !!

Thanks !!!

Dr. Eric Melse

July 15, 2019at 2:41 pm

Dear Dr. Shah, Attaullah,

With great interest, I am exploring your Stata package asdoc.
It offers many great options to (quickly) create result reports and tables, which is a very nice additional tool to have available with Stata.

I have a minor bug report.
Once the option save(somename) is used, the default is set to the last save name used. E.g.
sysuse auto
asdoc sum , save(sum.doc) replace
does save to sum.doc, but after that:
asdoc sum
will again (try to) save to sum.doc and not switch back to the package default Myfile.doc
I assume that you are using a global instead of a local to set the save() option (something that is discouraged).

I have some minor but practical suggestions for additional controls of asdoc.
Just the first most simple format of the summary table, create with:
sysuse auto
asdoc sum , save(sum.doc) replace
producs a table with an ’empty’ last row (see attached file sum.docx).
I am not sure why this is the case. Maybe to create some visual distance between the last row of data and the line drawn at the bottom of the table.
If that is the case, well, you could introduce options to control the formatting of the table in MSWord, using code to set Table Properties, but maybe that is ar odd’s with the simplicity & effectiveness of asdoc.
Nevertheless, to be able to set some Table Properties could be practical, like Specific Row Height and Vertical Alignment (Top/Center/Bottom).

I suppose, if the additional bottom row is intential, it would be helpful to be able to have an option to used it or not, like (no bottom row, see attached file Myfile_Without_Empty_Row.docx):
asdoc sum , nbrow

It is very nice to have the option tzok, like (see attached MydocTzok.docx):
* asdoc – current set up (all statistics have trailing zeros except N)
asdoc sum , dec(2) tzok replace

But, it would be nice to be to controlt which statistics have the get trailing zeros (given the fact that you already do this with N, like (see attached Myfile_Tzok_Selected_Statistics.docx):
* asdoc – suggested code to only tzok selected statistics
asdoc sum , dec(2) tzok(mean sd) replace

It would be helpful to be able to have an option to include a row ‘below’ the table to include a note, like (see attached Myfile_Without_Last_Empty_Row_but_With_Footnote_Row.docx):
* asdoc – suggested code to add a note row to the result table
asdoc sum , dec(2) tzok note(“{added row for note}”), replace

Maybe this is helpful (certainly for me it would).

Best regards,
Dr. Eric Melse
Amsterdam University of Applied Sciences

July 17, 2019at 4:13 am

Dear Dr Eric

I’ve added 6 options for:

• Text alignment in cells
  • Decimal points
  • Trailing zeros
  • and text formatting including bold and italics etc
  • last empty row removed
  • notes
  • These options can be invoked by using the column key words such as c1 c2 c3 etc, with underscore the relevant options. For example, to format column 2 in bold, we would add

asdoc sum, c2_fmt(\b)

Format column 5 in italics

asdoc sum, c5_fmt(\i)

use two decimal points for column 3

asdoc sum, c3_dec(2)

Align column 5 text in the center

asdoc sum, c5_align(\qc)

Use trailing zeros with column 2

asdoc sum, c2_tzok

These options are then remembered until reset. To reset

asdoc, reset_colfmt

5. Further, the last empty row has been removed

6. And even better, option notes now can add notes to the end of the table

asdoc sum, replace notes(\i \b My first ever note is in bold and italics)

So far, I have added this functionality only with sum command.

net install asdoc, from(http://fintechprofessor.com) replace

Yasir

July 31, 2019at 7:30 am

Please narrate to install VAR in STATA

Lex

August 7, 2019at 5:58 pm

Dear,

Does asdoc work in Stata 16? It worked on Stata 15, but after upgrading tot Stata 16 I am receiving the following error:

ssc install asdoc

checking asdoc consistency and verifying not already installed…

the following files already exist and are different:
/Users/…../Stata/ado/plus/a/asdoc.ado
/Users/…./Stata/ado/plus/a/asdoc.sthlp
/Users/…./Stata/ado/plus/l/lasdoc.mlib

no files installed or copied
(no action taken)
r(602);

August 9, 2019at 12:43 pm

Yes, asdoc works perfectly with Stata 16. In your installation command, you have to add option replace

ssc install asdoc, replace

Lex

August 10, 2019at 2:22 am

It worked, thanks! But only after I deleted manually all three files and re-run the ssc install asdoc command. For some strange reason, running the install command with ” , replace” didn’t solve the problem…

August 10, 2019at 2:56 am
    ssc install asdoc, replace

The above shall install asdoc and replace any existing copy. But you have to restart Stata.

Ameer Muhammad

September 13, 2019at 12:39 am

Salam Attaullah Sir,

Hope you are doing well. Recently i just came across asdoc package which is helpful to create amazing, meaningful tables. I have Done MSc in Epidemiology & Biostatistics from Agha khan university. Currently working as Research Specialist. In my field such commands really help to obtain a data in specific way. Well coming to the point, i would like to ask how to use Asdoc command with loops . Such as there is one loop which actually run tabulation of whole sheet. Now question is that how to use asdoc with loop to send all tables together in one go?

And another question. Please if you can guide, link or refer any best stata notes or books. Please if you have any prepared material such as do file please possible kindly share.

I will remain thankful to you

Regards

September 13, 2019at 12:43 am

Dear Ameer Muhammad

Thanks for your appreciation and kind words. asdoc can be used just like any other Stata command in a loop. If you have an example dataset and have an idea of using loop with it, just let me know and I shall show to use a loop with it.

Currently, I do not have ready material on Stata, I usually search the internet whenere the need arises.

Fos

September 16, 2019at 2:21 pm

Dear Dr. Shah

I’m trying to use asdoc with svy and tabulate, ci but I can’t find the way to show confidence interval.
using:

asdoc svy :tabulate var, ci

Where I’m doing something wrong?

September 17, 2019at 8:26 am

Fos
The ci option is not yet available with svy tabulate command.

Félix Quiñones

September 26, 2019at 7:43 pm

Hello Dr. Shah,

I love to use asdoc, but I’m having problems seeing chi-square and notes in two-way tabulation (cross-tabs). I try to use something like:

asdoc tabulate var1 var2, chi2 replace ///
       title(This is my Tittle)  ///
       notes(\i \b My first ever note is in bold and italics)

or

asdoc tab var1 var2, missing ///
      notes(Pearson chi2 =  10.3936   Pr = 0.006) ///
      save(today_2019.doc) title(This is my Tittle col chi2

I realized that chi-square and notes does not work with the tabulate command and asdoc.

Any workaround?

Thanks,
Felix.

September 26, 2019at 9:30 pm

Félix Quiñones
    I am pleasantly surprised that you know about notes as no one else knows about this new feature, except Prof Eric Melse. Do you know him?
    Until today, notes option was not available with two-way tabulation commands. Upon your request, I have added this to asdoc.

net install asdoc, from(http://fintechprofessor.com) replace

Please do remember to cite asdoc. To cite:
    In-text citation
    Tables were created using asdoc, a Stata program written by Shah (2018).

Bibliography

Elena S.

September 28, 2019at 3:26 am

Hello! This is a great package, super useful for quick output for tab. It would be great if there was functionality to display Stata dates properly when their tabs are outputted, rather than showing the raw numerical value. Alternatively we also cannot use the string version of the date either.

September 28, 2019at 6:35 pm

Elena
    Yes asdoc does not support date formats with tab command, but converting dates to string should work. See

clear
    set obs 20
    gen date = mod(_n, 4)
    format date %td
    tostring date, gen(date2) u force
    asdoc tab date2, replace

Sheila Marilyn

October 8, 2019at 6:55 pm

Hi
I am new to as doc command. It is not working for me. I am using STATA 15 and Windows V 10
I type this:

as doc sum,append

and get this error:

something required
r(100);

Kindly advise

October 9, 2019at 12:16 am

Sheila Marilyn
    First of all, there is no space between as and doc, it’s a single word. Second, please note that there should a space between the , and append. On a side note, append is optional, so you do not need to use it. Here is an example

asdoc sum